Homepage > News > Monaco and emergency humanitarian aid in 2018

Monaco and emergency humanitarian aid in 2018

In 2018, the Government of Monaco responded to appeals for emergency humanitarian aid amounting to €400,000, thus reaching 275,000 direct beneficiaries.

This emergency aid was granted in full to International Organisations (IO) such as the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), UNICEF and the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).

The Monegasque Cooperation responded to 5 appeals in 2018: 2 from WFP in Mali and Burkina Faso to meet the food crisis in the Sahel; UNICEF in Madagascar; UNRWA in Lebanon and finally IFRC (International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies) to support the deployment of emergency relief in the wake of the earthquake in Indonesia. 275,000 people thus benefited from Monegasque emergency aid.

75% of humanitarian aid was allocated to appeals concerning “natural disasters, famine and health crises”, with the remaining 25% going to appeals regarding “conflict and refugees”. “From year to year, we have noted that the proportion of emergency aid allocated to climate- or conflict-related famine is growing”, explains Yordanos Pasquier, in charge of emergency aid at the Government of Monaco’s Office of International Cooperation.

For information, for the 2015-2017 strategic plan, this share increased from 32% in 2015 to 79% in 2017. With 75% in 2018, this trend is therefore continuing, a trend that the Monegasque Cooperation has included in its 2018-2020 strategy, by adding an intervention area: food security. According to the UN Hunger Report 2017, the situation in terms of food security has worsened with this decline being noted particularly in conflict settings or conflict coupled with drought or flooding.

For more information

2018 emergency aid – Food distribution (cash transfer, food coupons, food baskets) by the World Food Programme in Burkina Faso. © WFP Burkina Faso


Semaine mondiale de la vaccination - du 24 au 30 avril 2019

25 April 2019

Le mercredi 24 avril s’ouvrait la semaine de la vaccination. Comme le rappelait Nelson Mandela, « la vie ou la mort d’un enfant dépend encore trop... Read more[+]

Les médecins référents de la drépanocytose réunis à Monaco

09 April 2019

Du 9 au 12 avril 2019, les 6 médecins référents de la drépanocytose dans les pays partenaires* de la Coopération monégasque tiennent un atelier en... Read more[+]